Women in Islam: Behind the veil


It was a vision many Americans shared: Once the Taliban were routed, surely women in Afghanistan would cast off their burqas and dance, bare-ankle and unbeaten, in the streets. Part of that vision was fulfilled-the Taliban is out. But, for various reasons, many women chose to keep their burqas on.

That is just one illustration of all the grey areas in the world of Muslim women that remain to be seen and understood. This week in Woman News, staff reporter Barbara Brotman presents a glimpse into that world, through the words of a group of American Muslim women, a Lebanese author and an Iranian activist.

It is a lightning rod for both devotion and hostility Banned in government of­fices in secular Turkey, mandated in its most severe form by the Taliban in Afghanistan, the Muslim head covering for women has been used as a weapon in battles for and against modernity.

The headscarf is part of observing hijab, the Muslim practice of modesty. The word comes from the Arabic for hiding or concealing, and, for women, also encom­passes covering the body completely with loose clothing. The head covering itself usually drapes around the neck and covers the bosom too.

Hijab is also a state of mind, its practitioners say, a public modesty that requires both men and women to lower their gaze if confronted by an in­appropriate sight.

Women who wear the headscarf say the Koran requires it whenever they are in public or around men who are not in their family but some Muslim women believe the Koran does not re­quire it and do not wear it, including Queen Rania of Jordan. Some Muslim women find covering deeply upsetting.

"We have an almost physical aversion to the hi­jab," says an Arab feminist in the Canadian docu­mentary "Under One Sky: Arab Women in North America Talk About the Hijab," shown recently at the University of Chicago Oriental Institute Muse­um. Other women in the film defended the headscarf as a religious requirement, an expression of cultural identity, or a symbol of defiance of Western imperialism.

These Chicago-area women choose to wear the head-scarf and here explain why.

Toni Khatib:

Khatib, 38, of the western sub­urbs, designed and maintains the Web site for the Islamic Foundation of Villa Park. Khatib, who is of mixed African-American and white parentage was raised Muslim on the South Side, attending a mosque where she sat behind Muhammad Ali's family. A former information technology network manager, she is now at home; she and her husband, born in Syria, have three children. "I've been wearing the hijab three years now. For me, it's been very liberating. To tell you the truth, it allows you to be a person, and not just a woman/thing to be looked at. People listen to you; I used to be very heavy... When I lost the weight again, I noticed those looks and things, where... someone is talking to you, but they're looking at your chest. With the hijab, I notice it's gone away. "My son was born prematurely in 1992, at one pound three ounces, after I had three miscarriages. I was told he wouldn't live, and if he did, there was a 95 per cent chance of cerebral palsy or being deaf, dumb and blind.

"One night I called [the hospital]. They said, 'Oh, my goodness, both his lungs have col­lapsed.' He was 2 or 3 months old. I ran and took a shower and prayed. Don't think I'm crazy, but I got the warmest feeling of peace as if God hugged me... I have constantly been very spiri­tual because of that.

"He is healthy [now]; he has no problems... I just really got closer to God."

Salma Vhora:

Vhora, 21, moved to the U.S. from her native India six years ago. Now a U.S. citizen, she is a fourth-year student at the University of Illinois at Chicago majoring in math education and lives with her family in Park Ridge. "I wear a niqaab. This is a cover or veil with a hole in it for the eyes... Covering your hair is an obligation, but covering your face is option­al; it's an individual choice... We have to wear a scarf properly to wear niqaab. If you wear it too tight, it's hard for you to breathe.

"I prefer to do niqaab in front of strange men to avoid any mischief when there is a fear of temptation. I think it's obligatory to cover all of a woman's beauty and adornment and not to display any part of that before strangers except for what appears unintentionally, in which case there will be no sin on them if they hasten to cov­er it up.

"It's so common-sense for me. If a stranger comes to me, he would have to look at my face first, then decide whether I am ugly, pretty or whether he is interested in me, by judging my face, how I look. I think that's not right. Outer beauty is not as Important as your good deeds and your actions.

"I covered my hair when I was 15 when I came from India. But I started wearing niqaab last year. I had been approached by so many men, strange men. I see more men than women in my math classes. They would always come up to me, try to give me high-fives, try to hug me. They acted like I should be in that group, doing what the guy should be doing. I didn't feel comfortable doing that.

"When I started doing the niqaab, I an­nounced in every single class, "This is the rea­son I am doing this.' They were very, very under­standing, very supportive, very proud of me."

Uzma Hussain:

Hussain, 20, lives in Darien, where she grew up with her parents, who were born in India. She is a student at the University of Illinois at Chicago.

"It's sort of a personal thing- You don't tell anyone you're going to do it; you just feel it. I started in my freshman year of high school when I was 14. I didn't tell anyone I was going to do it; I just did it one day. "I brought the hijab with me every day for a week. It was, like, every day, 'I'm going to do it, I'm going to do it.' Then on Friday, I did it. I put it on during school. I just stood by my locker. We had gone to get our lunches. Everyone was gone. And I just did it.

"And then I went to lunch. And people I don't know, they were confused. They didn't know what to say. My sister was com­pletely shocked. And my mom was shocked, too. She was a little concerned that I started too early, but it's not her choice; it's not anyone's choice. It's something you have to do. "I can be who I am, and not worry about being judged. It's sort of like protection. And it's a lot of responsibility When you go out in public, people will recognize, "This is a Muslim.' Every­thing you do will be noticed. "I don't sit in a corner and be, 'Oh, I cover my hair, I can't participate.' I was captain of the var­sity badminton team in high school; we won the state championship. And I covered my hair. That, to me, is cool. "Sometimes you feel like you missed out on [dressing up] a little bit. My mom sometimes says she wants her daughters to dress up and whatnot. But I'm happier than I'm covered now. ... I've had good experiences."

Nada Rifai:

Rifai, 24, of the North Side, was born in Syria and lived there with her family until a year ago. She began covering her head when she was 20. She works as an office clerk at the Institute of Islamic Information and Education, a North Side organization that disseminates informa­tion about Islam throughout North America.

"I don't come from a religious family Even my mother doesn't cover. "But the more I grew up, I thought of it more and more. The more you know you have this contact with God, the more you get emotional with God, you want to do something for God. I had this vision that I, 100 per cent, want to do it. I was the first to do it. Two years later, my sister did.

"It was a little bit hard; it changed some things in my lifestyle. We're an open family. We go to clubs, we have dinners where you dance, we go to swimming pools. I don't go anymore to clubs. I don't swim anymore. But it didn't change my relationships with people around me.

"My father was so happy but my mother-it's not her way or lifestyle. She wanted me to take it off, especially in summer. Every weekend or ev­ery three or four days, we would go somewhere to eat and have parties. Even our wedding par­ties were mixed; we never had the wedding party where the men are one place and the women another. She wanted me to have all these things.

"But when you think of it deeply and truly, you think that your life would be with your God more than your life on earth."

Dina Ramadan:

Ramadan, 26, of Oak Park, grew up in Florida. Her parents are Egyptian; her mother designs women's dressy clothing, American style, and until recently owned a tony dress shop in Flori­da. Ramadan is married and has two children, 19 months and 2 months.

"When I was growing up, I was not the best Muslim; I was a little bit more involved with my friends and going out. But when I got to college, I started to read more in the Quran and started to learn more about my religion and why it was a privilege to be a Muslim. "I went to an Islamic convention in Atlanta, I was sitting in a seminar, and what one of the scholars said hit me: 'We're not going to live for­ever.' On the car ride home I announced to my family that I was going to wear the hijab.

"It was a little scary. Everyone [at Jackson­ville University] knew me; it was a very small campus. A lot of my friends had no idea what it meant. I got asked whether I was in a cult... One of my professors asked me if I was ill.

"I used to work at the mall, at a clothing store. I had a wardrobe full of Ann Taylor. I still wear nice clothes under loose outer clothes, the gilbab [a loose full-length coat]. But I don't miss it. Every time I put [the hijab] on, I'm in a way aware of what a great blessing it is to wear it. You just feel liberated. You feel like, 'Why didn't I do this a long time ago? Why did I spend all those hours in front of a mirror when it's not important?'

"It is a physical reminder to myself that what you do is for the sake of God and Islam. It re­minds you to pray on time; it reminds you to be kind to everybody.

"It does get to be hot in the heat of summer. But as a Muslim, you know that everything you do for the sake of Allah, you get rewards for it. The better you do in your life, the more chance you'll have of being in heaven.

"I don't need men to tell me I'm pretty; I don't need, that validation. I want to look nice for my husband, and that, for me, is more important than a million people telling me I'm beautiful."

Mary Ali:

Ali, 62, is secretary and board member of the Institute of Islamic Information and Education; her husband is the institute's managing direc­tor. She grew up Protestant in Iowa, met her husband in graduate school and converted to Is­lam in her early 30s. "I've been wearing it [the head scarf] for 30 years. I've grown so accustomed to wearing it; when I don't wear it and I go outside, I feel naked.

"I came into it very gradually. After I went to Islam, I didn't change the kind of clothing I was wearing at all. Then gradually, the dresses were longer-sleeved; the neckline went up; I put pants on under skirts. After a time, I started putting a scarf on. I think for an individual, it takes some acceptance of yourself, and courage to put it on and walk outside. "It felt strange in the beginning. It still feels hot. ... I forced myself to get used to it. For a while, everyone would ask me, 'Why are you wearing that on your head?' Then I discovered it allowed me to talk about Islam.

"Wearing it makes me feel like when people look at me, they're looking at me not for what my body looks like, but more for what I do and what I contribute."

Dalia Hassaballa:

Hassaballa, 20, of Villa Park, the daughter of Egyptian parents, is in her last year studying elementary education at the University of Illi­nois at Chicago. She was married in June. "I grew up in Schaumburg. When I was 11, I went and lived overseas in Korea; my dad had business over there. So, I started to put the hijab on when I was 11 because I knew I was starting a new life over there. For a lot of girls, it's very difficult. They put it on in the middle of the school year. All of a sudden, you'll lose friends, and you'll gain some friends. "It was a given... Once you get your period, you have to decide when to put your scarf on. "I do it because that's what God has ordained. ... I also wear it as a form of modesty... And it protects us from sexual harassment. I saw a woman wearing a short skirt, and I saw these men just looking at her, talking and smiling, and I'm like, 'They don't even respect women.' I'm thankful that in my religion, women are re­spected.

"It isn't uncomfortable [to wear the headscarf! In olden times, people used to have umbrellas in the sun. I kind of look at it like that."

Saba Ahmed:

Ahmed, 25, of Villa Park, was born in India. She has been in this country for two years, and is a "market research analyst".

"According to Islam, a woman is a very pre­cious gem. If you consider a diamond or a very precious gem, you wouldn't just keep it outside to be touched and seen by anybody and every­body. It is a very precious thing.

"A husband, when he comes home, when he finds a thing that is hidden from society, he finds it is more attractive. A husband sees his wife and says, 'Oh, God has given this beautiful person to me.' He finds satisfaction. And if there is satisfaction with the husband, the family is secure. And once the family is secure, the socie­ty is secure, and once the society is secure, the whole nation is secure.

"Men are also not supposed to reveal them­selves in public. They are supposed to lower their gaze if they see something they are not supposed to see. "There are girls who think, 'Oh, we won't be so comfortable [wearing the hijab] because we are working with non-Muslims.' They don't tie it around their heads; they don't bring it in front of their bosoms.

"That is not enough. Hijab means from head to toe you are covered, but your face, hands and feet could be open. And... it should be loose; the shape of your body should not be revealed. That is the true veil. And if you have all the women covering their bosoms, then women won't run in the race of going for those silicone implants."

Manal el-Hrisse:

El-Hrisse, 21, of Cicero, is general secretary of the Islamic Association for Palestine, in Palos Hills. A graduate of Dominican University who majored in political science and criminology, she lives in Cicero. She was born in the United Arab Emirates. "We're saying, 'Take us for who we are, as peo­ple, as humans.' One day, I'm going to grow old­er; my skin is going to be all wrinkly; I'm not going to be as attractive as someone in her 20s. Does that mean people should start treating me differently? That I'm not worth anything? "Funny, I never see anybody who is half-naked and say, 'Oh, she's oppressed.' But I think she is oppressed. There is so much pressure on women to look good. We should have a contest and see how many women are willing to go out without makeup. And look at all these teenage girls in school saying, 'Oh, my gosh, I have a pimple.'

"I rebel against that. I say, 'I'm going to be whoever I'm going to be. God made me this way If you like it, you like it. Otherwise, too bad.' That's the freedom for me; it's the freedom to choose. I don't want my society to pressure me.

"People think the scarf is the image of oppres­sion. But it's an image of liberation."

Allah knows the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment